Friday, December 9, 2016

Heroes for Dungeonquest: Rildo the Crafty






Except for El-Adoran in my last post, all of these had "zenithal" priming, aka underpainting, where I primed in either black or dark gray and then primed from above with white. I'm always trying to push one skill or another and with my DungeonQuest figures I was focused on achieving the luminous glow of some figures seen in old White Dwarf mags and a few contemporaries also looking back to the old school. My comfort zone is to work straight dark to light over black and then a bit of glazing. Here the glazing and translucent color is really central. The difference between the figures is marked, these really are brighter and I want to say more "candy-like" when set one next to the other. The white shines through. I'm not expressing a preference one way or another, but plan to continue some figures in this mode and try to bring this style more within my comfort zone.

4 comments:

  1. Very nice work. Love that you are painting per the original artwork too. The glazes really do look good.

    I've had this fig sat waiting for paint for decades... It's such a good sculpt too, I've no idea why I've yet to tackle him really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm tossing up if I should paint up mine now :)

    Top job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool. I should try airbrushing at some point. I've always put off getting one.

    ReplyDelete