Saturday, May 19, 2018

D&D Harpies

I shared the harpies and the customizations I made previously while they were WIP. Today, here they are finished.



Grenadier and Ral Partha Harpies

I admire both sets of sculpts, the Grenadier ones by Sandra Garrity and the Ral Partha ones by Bob Olley, and what's better is how well they go together, even down to the exact same style base, with similar ground details sculpted on. I'm not sure which came first, but it's as if one sculptor had copies of the others work in hand while sculpting them.

I chose a straightforward color scheme. In my D&D campaign they guard a certain mountain pass and get a lot of sun. I could have got fancier with the wing coloration but kept it dark and minimal, and used vultures as reference.


Ral Partha Harpy

Ral Partha Harpy

Grenadier Harpy

Grenadier Harpy

Ral Partha Harpy


Ral Partha Harpy


Grenadier Harpy

Grenadier Harpy

Grenadier Harpy

Grenadier Harpy

From the time I put these on my wish list it took about five years of patiently sifting eBay listings before a promising lot of either the Grenadier or Ral Partha ones showed up. If you persist as a 25mm fantasy collector for very long you'll learn patience if you didn't have it to begin with. And then, as these things sometimes go, a lot of the other ones showed up, and then several more, and I wound up with at least six of the Grenadier and a dozen or more the Ral Partha ones, as well as several of the single Alternative Armies sculpt Olley sculpted for them in the exact scale and style as the Ral Partha ones. Enough for a good sized unit in a fantasy army. These are the first, but some day years from now I may get around to doing another round or two. In the meantime, five harpies are more than a match for any adventuring party likely to grace my dungeons.

No comments:

Post a Comment