Saturday, June 23, 2018

Otherworld D&D Stone Giant

Here is one of my favorite figures in my D&D collection, an Otherworld stone giant sculpted by Paul Muller.  I'm also introducing a new style of photos for the D&D figures, with more like these to come.

In Strides the Stone Giant

Otherworld D&D Stone Giant

Otherworld D&D Stone Giant


After basing, I primed the figure with black, gray and white Dupli-Color, then painted the figure with many washes before finishing with highlights and black lining. A stone giant should be camouflaged in his native surrounding, and so I used a strictly minimal palette. I let the white of the primer show through. I think you can see the texture of the primer and washes in the high-res pics and it strengthens the stone effect. The result is a good example of a figure that please me more than most in my collection, but that is unlikely to win a prize.




Otherworld D&D Stone Giant

Otherworld D&D Stone Giant

Otherworld D&D Stone Giant



This iconic sculpt is among my favorite of all time done in the D&D vein. Any who have thumbed the original Monster Manual will recognize this as being done after Dave Trampier's stone giant piece in that book.


No comments:

Post a Comment